Wednesday, January 25, 2017

SIMPLE RECYCLING SERVICE IN DANGER!

    I was so happy when Simple Recycling came to Austin. I had heard about them from friends in the Houston area who loved this curbside pick-up and recycling service. Since they started in Austin, Simple Recycling has diverted over 200,000 pounds of textiles from the landfill. Over 6800 Austin residents have participated so far.
    Now, on the January 26 Austin City Council meeting agenda, item #42 proposes to cancel the 3-year Simple Recycling contract immediately. The reason is that Goodwill and several other charitable organizations "BELIEVE" that their donations have been negatively impacted by this curbside service. These organizations have no data to prove this at this time.
    I believe we need many ways to help reach Zero Waste by 2040 and Simple Recycling offers one of these ways. They take items that most people just throw into their trash bins - that single tennis shoe, torn t-shirt, ratty towels, and torn underwear. No charity store can sell these items, so now with Simple Recycling, they do not go to the landfill.
    I still donate to my favorite charity, as do most of my friends and neighbors. Simple Recycling has not taken that choice away from me. Now these charitable organizations are trying to take my recycling choice away.
    There should always be discussion about this issue, but while these discussions are taking place, Simple Recycling should be allowed to continue its curbside service.
    This vote will happen tomorrow. If you feel strongly about simple Recycling continuing in Austin, please contact your City Council representative today. You can send one email to all City Council members at this address: <https://austintexas.gov/email/all-council-members>.

PLEASE HELP KEEP THAT T-SHIRT OUT OF THE TRASH CAN!


1 comment:

  1. Great article! Wish I could add my voice, but I suspect out-of-Austin folks carry no impact.

    ReplyDelete