Thursday, January 19, 2017

BULK COLLECTION ALERT


I love Bulk Collection week in our neighborhood.  It is a wonderful form of recycling – set out what you no longer want and others take it for their reuse or to sell. Whatever is left over, the City of Austin picks up and ALL OF THAT GOES INTO THE LANDFILL.

I never thought about the leftovers going into the landfill.  Rarely do I have anything left for the City to pick up.  I started thinking about this when my portable electric heater broke.  I was excited because Bulk Collection is next week.  Then I wondered what would happen to my broken electric heater.

If I leave it out for the City, it goes to the landfill OR I can take it to the Reuse and Recycling Drop Off Center where the components (electric, plastic and metal) will be recycled.

Clearly, I need to rethink what I put out for Bulk Collection.  From now on, I will take anything that is broken and can be recycled to the Reuse and Recycling Drop Off Center.  For example, broken appliances and broken lawn furniture probably have no appeal to people scouring the neighborhood, but are recycled when taken to the Reuse and Recycling Drop Off Center.

Before the City truck comes by, I will re-evaluate anything that I have set out to see if there is some alternative other than the landfill.

That is my plan.  Do you have any suggestions or comments?  If so, feel free to post on this blog.

If you have any other recycling questions please post them.  I will happily research the answer and post it.






4 comments:

  1. I learn something new every time I read your blogs. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learn something new every time I read your blogs. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question. Can pouches be recycled? They're very popular with my mom friends these days and my son likes them, too. Here's what they look like: http://www.plumorganics.com/products-list/. I cut one of them open and it appears that it's just a metal pouch, no lining.

    Also curious: if I rinse out the metal pouch containers for tuna fish, can I recycle those as well?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pouches (even the tuna ones) are not recyclable because they are made of layers of materials that cannot be separated to be recycled. There is an interesting product available that is a reusable baby food pouch system. It is an option for moms who make their own food and want to put them into a pouch for convenience.

    ReplyDelete