Sunday, March 20, 2016

Introduction


I have always been passionate about recycling. Many years ago, I became the neighborhood Block Captain for the City of Austin. The City would send me updates about new items to be recycled and, through a neighborhood email, I would let my neighbors know. I would also send out reminders around the holidays about seasonal items (like most gift wrap paper) that can be put into our curbside recycling bins.

When there was a possibility that Austin would ban plastic bags, I got very involved in that campaign. We were successful!

After the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference adopted the Paris Agreement, I thought long and hard about what little ole’ me could do to make a difference.

Following are some things I have done:

  • Purchased a fabulous compost bin and began composting
  • Gave up my 64 gallon garbage can for a smaller 32 gallon can
  • Met with the director of Austin Resource Recovery to share some ideas about community education
  • Organized a neighborhood Styrofoam collection and took a carload of Styrofoam, batteries and some hazardous chemicals to our local Recycling and Reuse Drop Off Center
  • Began a campaign with my local HEB grocery store to post signs in the meat and egg sections that Styrofoam is now recycled at our Recycling and Reuse Drop Off Center

I will be posting recycling tips on this blog. It will apply mostly to Austin, but there will something to inspire readers elsewhere to check out what their community is doing.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! This might just be the best blog I've ever read!

    ReplyDelete